Prof. Dr. Bilal Ahmad Alvi has been appointed as Dean of Faculty of Engineering Practices & Sciences at the Nazeer Husain University. He is
also visiting fellow at University of Malaga, Spain. He has over 30 years of
extensive practical and academic experience at both national and International
levels. He did his MS and PhD from the University of Salford, UK in the field of
Optical Fiber Communication while B.E. in Electronic Engineering from NED
University. He has worked on many important projects in Pakistan, Saudi Arabia
and the USA. He has extensive theoretical and practical experience in optical
network, optical fiber & devices, special fiber, optical fiber amplifier, optical fiber
sensors, optical free space communication, satellite development (LEO), satellite
integration and testing.
Prior to joining NHU, Prof. Alvi was working as a Professor and Chairman of
Electronic Engineering Department at Sir Syed University of Engineering and
Technology. He had also served at the Pakistan Space and Upper Atmosphere
Research Commission (SUPARCO) as Senior Engineer for more than 15 years. Dr.
Alvi has published a number of research papers and chaired many local and
International Conferences. He has been selected as the Best University Teacher
Award by the Higher Education Commission in January 2008. He is HEC approved
PhD Supervisor. His research interest are Optical Communication, WSN, V2V
Communication and small satellite development.
Teaching Assignment / Subjects:
Optical Fiber Communication, Optronics, Mobile Communication, Basic
Electronics, Electronic Devices and Circuits, Amplifiers and Oscillators, Data
Communication, Telecommunication Project Management, Teletraffic
Engineering and etc.
- HEC approved PhD Supervisor.
- Visiting fellow at University of Malaga, Spain.
- HEC-Best Teacher Award for the year 2007.
- Co-author, Outstanding Paper Award, 2005 Symposium on Technology Fusion
of Optoelectronics and Communications (STFOC’05) held on May 17-22, 2005
in Taipei, Taiwan.
- Scholarship: Ministry of Science and Technology, Pakistan.
- Member of HEC’s National Curriculum Revision Committee.
- Member of Pakistan Engineering Council Accreditation Visitation Team.
- Member of statutory bodies of national universities and institutes.
- Supervised number of research project both graduate and undergraduate for
Pakistan student Satellite
Amber Israr, Veselin Rakocevic, Bilal Ahmad Alvi, Muhammad Asif “
Analysis of Greedy Decision Making for Geographic Routing for
Randomly Moving Object”, IMTIC’15, 11-13 February, 2015, Mehran
University, Jamshoro. Provisionally acceptedfor the publication in
Mehran University Reseach Journal of Engineering and Technology.
- Waseem Ahmed Siddiqui,Faisal Rafique, Javier Poncela, Bilal Ahmad
Alvi,Abdul Khaliq Khanzada, Muhammad Aamir” Framework for 3D
Localization for Underwater Acoustic Sensor Networks (UWASNs)” ”,
IMTIC’15, 11-13 February, 2015, Mehran University, Jamshoro.
Provisionally acceptedfor the publication in Mehran University
Reseach Journal of Engineering and Technology
- Muhammad Rehan, Syed Waqad Ali Hashmi, Muhammad Aamir,
Muhammad Safwan, Dr. Bilal A. Alvi "Design and Practical
Implementation of Industrial Control System with Fuzzy PID using
WSN". Provisionally accepted for publication in Springer Journal on
Wireless Personal Communications.
- Bilal A. Alvi, Naeem Abbas, Amber Israr, Muhammad Asif, “Robust
Controller Design for Satellite Attitude Determination, Stabilization
and Control using LQG/LTR”.Provisionally accepted for publication in
Springer Journal on Wireless Personal Communications.
- J. Poncela, J.M. Moreno, M. Aamir, B. A. Alvi, “M2M challenges and
opportunities in 4G”. Provisionally accepted for publication in
Springer Journal on Wireless Personal Communications.
- Bilal Alvi, B.A. ; Abbas, N. ; Israr, A. ; Asif, M. “Optimized Design of Sun
Sensor and Centroid Algorithm for Small Satellite Mission”, Wireless
Communications, Vehicular Technology, Information Theory and
Aerospace & Electronic Systems (VITAE), 2014 4th International
Conference on 11-14 May 2014, Aalborg, Denmark, IEEE Xpolre, DOI
- Bilal Alvi, Muhammad Asif, Fahad Siddiqui, Muhammad Safwan,
Jawad Ali Bhatti, Fast Steering Mirror Control Using Embedded SelefLearning
Fuzzy Controller For Free Space .Optical Communication”,
Springer International Journal on Wireless Personal Communications,
29 March, 2014, DOI :10.1007/s11277-014-1731-1
- Syed Waqad Ali Hashmi, Bilal A. Alvi, Muhammad. Rehan, M. Shujaat
Kamal and M. YasirZaheen, Energy Efficient Vital Sign Monitoring
System using Wireless Sensor Network, Springer International
Journal on Wireless Personal Communications, 29 March
- Bilal Alvi, MuhmmadAamir and Amber Israr, “Directional Coupler
based on Twin Cored Fiber” presented at the International
Conference on Mobility for life; Technology, Telecommunication and
Problem Based Learning from 5th to 7th March 2012, Chiang Rai,
- Bilal Alvi, Muhammad Asif and Amber Israr “Measurement of
Complex Mode Amplitudes” Spie Proceeding, Photonics West
2012,January 21-25, 2012, San Francisco, USA
- Bilal Alvi, M.WasimQureshi and ShakirKarim “Importance of
Information Availability, its effects on Business & the proposed
Model” Sir Syed University Research Journal of Engineering and
Technology, Vol. 1, 1uuue1, 2011.
- Syed Abrar Ali, Bilal Alvi, and Muhammad Asif, (2008) “OPGW – Our
Experience in KESC” IEEE Electical Power Conference, EPEC 2008,
Vancouver Canada, ISBN: 978-1-4244-2894-6
- Jameel Ahmed, Bilal A. Alvi, Zeeshan Ali Khan. ‘Blood Gluco-Insulin
Regulation & Management Systems using MATLAB/SIMULINK”, IEEEICET
2008, International Conference held at Rawalpindi, Pakistan,
18th & 19th Oct 2008.
- Mahmood Alam, Bilal A Alvi, and Abid Karim “Thermal Diffusivity
Measurement of Semiconductors using Transient Surface Grating”,
International Conference on Optics and Optoelectronics (ICOL-2005),
December 12-15, 2005,IRD, Dehradun, India.
- Syed Muhammad Rizvi, Bilal A. Alvi “Modeling of scheduling and
sequencing protocols for variable length messages in a single hop
WDM network” Proc,SPIE, Vol, 6011, P98-107, October 2005.
- Syed Muhammad Rizvi and B.A.Alvi ”Scheduling and Sequencing of
Variable Length Messages in a Single Hop WDM Network” 2005
Symposium on Technology Fusion of Optoelectronics and
Communications (STFOC '05) International Conference on Photonics
May 18-May 22 International Conference Hall, NTNU, Taipei, Taiwan.
(outstanding paper award).
- ‘Phase A Study for BADAR-B”, Pakistan Space & Upper Atmosphere
Research Commission and Satellite International Limited.
- B.A. Alvi “Special Optical Fiber” Asia-pacific Conference on
multilateral corporation on Space Technology Application, Islamabad,
22nd - 26th April 1995.
- R.J. Potton, T.khurshid and B.A. Alvi ‘Laser Transverse Mode Noise”
Applied Opto-electronics, Leeds, UK, 14th-17th September 1992.
- B.A. Alvi and R.J. Potton ‘Fabrication, Characterization and
Applications of Special Optical Fiber” European Electronics
Conference and tenth National Quantum Electronics Conference,
Edinburgh, 27th-30th August 1991.
- B.A. Alvi and R.J. Potton ‘Fabrication, Characterization of Optical
Fiber for Sensing Applications ”Applied Optics and Opto-electronics
Conference, Nottingham, 17th-20th September 1990.
- Professor & Chairman Electronic Engineering Departments at Sir Syed
University of Engineering and Technology (SSUET) Karachi.
- Professor & Head of Department, Department of Electrical Engineering,
College of Engineering and Sciences, Institute of Business and Management, Karachi.
- Associate Professor & Project coordinator at Bahria University, Karachi.
- System Engineer at Softweb Corporation San Jose, USA
- Senior Optical Engineer, Tera Beam Kirkland, USA
- Fiber Optics Transmission System Expert, Network Development andProject, Saudi Telecom Company, Saudi Arab.
- Senior Engineer, Pakistan Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission (SUPARCO), Karachi, Pakistan.
CompletedUniversity of Salford, U.K.Ph.D. (Optical Fiber Communication)
CompletedUniversity of Salford, U.K.M.S. (Optical Fiber Communication)
CompletedNED University, Karachi.B.E. (Electronics Engineering)